By Benjamin U Ogbuagu
Enugu, June 12, 2019
(MOI) The suspended field work on tracing and provisional demarcation of
Abia/Anambra boundary will re-commence in August, the National Boundary Commission
(NBC) has announced.
The decision was
reached at the end of a joint meeting of a Joint Meeting of Officials (JMO)
held at the Enugu Zonal Office of Commission on June 10.
Director-General, NBC, Mr A A Adaji, who chaired the meeting, noted that the
session critically considered the lingering issues of the boundary dispute.
According to him this
is with a view to completing tracing and provisional demarcation of the
remaining stretch of the boundary so as to be in a position to make appropriate
recommendations to Government.
of the Federation, represented by Acting Director Internal Boundary, Mr A A
Adebomehin said that the Joint Field Team had previously traced 15 kilometres
stretch of the boundary.
This according to him
has been accepted by the affected communities of the two states.
noting that about 8 kilometres stretch was outstanding, said that the field
tracing exercise was aborted in 2009 due to reasons beyond their control.
Leader of the Anambra
State delegation and Executive Secretary of the State Boundary Committee, Mr
Emma Nwokoye noted that the affected communities in the outstanding sections
were anxious for the field work to be completed.
He, then, called for
critical consideration of relevant documents including, court judgments for use
in the definition of the boundary, pledging the support and co-operation of
Anambra State Government.
The meeting was
attended by Surveyor-Generals of Anambra and Abia States, Mr Ifeanyi Ajoku and
Mr Anthony Ivonye respectively.
The Special Adviser
to Abia State Governor on boundary matters, Mr Chris Nwanevu also attended the